Gas fireplaces generally use natural gas or propane to burn and will be able to burn cleanly though it produces some amount of carbon monoxide. It needs a chimney for that reason which would increase the cost of operating a gas fireplace. The chimneys will have to be installed professionally and once it is installed it cannot be moved anywhere so the perfect location will have to be chosen. As it is a real flame, the gas fireplaces will get very hot and might cause burning if someone gets too near to the hearth. The units come with a blower which can be used to push the warm air into the room and some models would even have a remote control.
The natural gas fireplace has many advantages over the other types like electric and wood burning fireplaces other than just the outward appeal:
- The fireplace can be operated by just pushing a button on the remote control. So it is very convenient to use.
- It is very efficient and will be able to deliver heat to the room immediately.
- It has a real fire effect, which would create an inviting and warm environment that will be comfortable to work in. The live flame effect that is provided by the gas fires will have a great warming capacity and is more affordable than the other versions.
- It gives a traditional look to the room as some people prefer things that are simpler. This will be one such appliance that will give a traditional feel and the wide range of fireplaces that are available in this category will give users plenty of options. The efficient radiant convertor fires are generally used in most houses as it is a great value for the money spent.
- It does not require a chimney when you opt for options like inset live flame fireplaces and gas effect stoves. It can be used along with balanced flue, a fan and other such efficient appliances.
- It is very cost effective as the natural gas cost less than heating oil, wood or electricity.
- You will be able to use it easily as the fire can be produced instantly using the thermostat or a remote control. The fireplace can be switched on and off when required.
- There is no need to clean any ash or soot like the wood fireplaces. Thus the cost for maintenance is low and an annual inspection will be sufficient to maintain the entire fireplace.
- Gas fireplaces have both vent less and vented options. So you will be able to choose which option you want based on whether you have a chimney or not as the ventless version does not require one.
- Though the gas fireplace will not heat the entire house, it will be able to heat up the entire room efficiently.
- The ceramic refractory logs have been developed greatly to make it more realistic and other features like knots and barks are being used.
- Some of the pre-fabricated fireplaces will offer a lot of flexibility and zero clearance units can be constructed in such a way that it will take up only less space. As the vent-free units do not need a chimney that will also help in saving space unlike the traditional wood fireplaces.
But the major disadvantage of using a gas fire place is the home owners will have to buy the fuel. If they live in a wooded area, they will be able to use the timber that is readily available after it has been dried and cut for the wood-burning fireplaces. But that option is not available in the gas fireplaces. It will not give the same smell and feel as a wood-burning fireplace though the fire will be real.