Buying a mattress can get very confusing at times. Most of us buy mattresses very rarely, so it’s not like you get much practice! And there are countless mattresses with different materials and makes to choose from. So how do you buy a mattress that gives you a good night’s sleep, and yet is easy on the bank account? Follow these tips to find the best deal for you.
1. Set a Budget: The last thing you want is to fall in love with a mattress you just can’t afford. In the middle of a mattress store is not the place to make decisions about what you want to spend. Decide on your budget beforehand, and commit to it before you start shopping.
2. Do your Research: More often than not, stores sell similar mattresses with different names. This makes it difficult for buyers to compare the prices and make an informed decision. Know at least some basics about what you’re looking for before you go. You’ll will find out that the best mattresses:
- Make it easy to change positions
- Provide spine support.
- Have warranty
- Are sold by reputed sellers.
Don’t be afraid to leave the store and take some time to research and consider your choice before buying.
3. Focus on Comfort: Consider what you prefer in a mattress and make sure the ones you’re looking at fit those criteria. To make sure that the mattress you are buying is comfortable, you need to check a number of factors that include but are not limited to:
- The firmness of the mattress
- The size of the mattress
- The type of materials used
A mattress which is comfortable for one person may not be comfortable for another. Don’t just follow experts’ opinions or online reviews. Instead, find out your comfort factor and then choose a mattress that suits you personally.
4. Don’t rely on Labels: When you go mattress shopping, don’t depend on the labels too completely. Different brands label their mattresses differently. What may be extra firm for one brand of mattress, may just be medium firm for another. Don’t make your decisions based on the labels without taking time to test your selection.
5. One size doesn’t fit all: Make sure you know the right size of the mattress to fit your bed. If you aren’t sure, measure the furniture, including the length and width. If you don’t have a bed to put the mattress on already, make sure the one you do get will fit in the space you have available.
6. Testing the Mattresses: Most stores will allow you to lie down on the mattresses and test them yourself. So make sure that you take advantage of that before heading to the checkout counter. Memory foam, latex foam, waterbeds, air beds, innerspring beds: you need to test a wide range of types and select the one that you find befitting for your use. If you have the slightest doubt about the quality, the size, or the comfort, then abandon ship right away!
Pro tip: Don’t just lie down for a few moments; you can be comfortable almost anywhere for a few seconds at a time. To get the best idea of a mattress’s comfort, lie on it for about 10-20 minutes. During this time, pay attention to whether it properly supports your spine or not. Also, you need to ensure that there is absolutely no gap between your lower back and the mattress when you lie straight on the mattress. A friend or family member can stand nearby and look for problems as you lie down.
7. Shop around: The price of most mattresses varies from store to store. For instance, you may be able to get a mattress at a lower price from a store that sells them along with cheap beds in Las Vegas. And on the other hand, there are stores that sell similar mattresses at a much higher price.
8. Ask the Warranty Period/Guarantee offered: The warranty period is one of the most important factors for choosing a mattress. On the off chance that a mattress is not as comfortable or sturdy as it seems, you need the option for a refund. Ask how long the warranty will last and what it covers.
- Do they have a cash back or refund policy?
- When can you return/exchange the product?
- Will they charge delivery or shipping charges when you replace it?
- What are the replacement rules for mattresses bought on a sale?
- What defects are covered during the warranty period?
With the right mattress, you can avoid spending a fortune but still sleep like a baby! Have your own tips to share with us? Leave us a comment and let us know.